Whiplash - Diagnosis
Symptoms / Tests / Signs
- Whiplash can be diagnosed by your symptoms.
- The doctor can prescribe medication for your pain and being active helps with your recovery.
- An MRI scan (magnetic imaging) is generally not helpful and usually does not show any damage. It may however show age related changes in the neck.
- Sometimes the symptoms will start immediately and sometimes stiffness and pain can take up to 48 hours to appear. Most people with whiplash will recover by 1 month and younger people recover more quickly.
- Visit your family doctor or the hospital if you had a whiplash injury and you are in need of reassurance.
The Patient Line website offers information for patients with spinal conditions:
Sciatica, back pain, spinal stenosis, disc herniation, scoliosis and many other spine conditions explained in a clear reliable, and trustworthy way. Not for profit EUROSPINE experts are here to help patients and their families understand what may be worrying them.
EUROSPINE is a society of spine specialists of various disciplines with a large knowledge of spine pathologies. All well-known and accepted treatment modalities for spine pathologies are represented by the members of the society. However, the Society cannot accept any responsibility for the use of the information provided; the user and their health care professionals must retain responsibility for their health care management.